[BioC] edgeR - expressen between genes

Jenny Drnevich drnevich at illinois.edu
Tue Feb 8 23:24:02 CET 2011

Hi all,

>Comparing expression b/w genes (as opposed to across conditions for
>a given gene) is not a standard use case within edgeR (yet) and
>there are a number of issues that should be dealt with if you want
>to do this well.  I'm sure others on the list have more experience
>and can comment more on this, but it seems you need to get a very
>good handle on gene length (can you always trust the annotation?)
>and other biases that (e.g. GC content, positional biases) that may
>introduce differences in read counts that are different from gene to gene.

Following up on this idea of the problems in comparing expression
levels between different genes using RNA-Seq data... over a year ago
I scanned a bunch of articles on RNA-seq and RPKM, and one of them
actually spiked in a bunch (at least dozens?) of genes at supposedly
the same concentration. However, when they compared RPKM values, they
found up to 4 FC differences between these genes with supposedly the
same concentration! I thought to myself, "Cool!", but as I was
actually searching for other information, I failed to note which
paper it was. And now I can't find it again. Anyone know what the
paper was, or know of other papers that have also tested between-gene
expression levels? RNA-seq has been touted for it's ability to
compare expression levels between genes, but as Mark indicated, it
turns out there are a variety of issues that hinder these comparisons.

Thanks so much!
Jenny