[BioC] [somehow-OT] Storing/quickly accessing "genome length" data.

Kasper Daniel Hansen kasperdanielhansen at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 16:00:05 CET 2011

On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 5:21 PM, Michael Lawrence
<lawrence.michael at gene.com> wrote:
> It will be open, as soon as we've started :) Basically want a more
> efficient/convenient API on top of the ncdf4 package. Richard Bourgon has an
> ExpressionSet class that holds any element in assayData that exposes a
> "rectangular" API. It's working now for mmapable files via the ff package.
> Just like DataFrame works for any vector-like object.  Pete Haverty has
> extended ExpressionSet to hold a RangedData for fast interval-based
> subsetting. Just an overview of the different directions that we want to
> sort of merge together.

I have been doing essentially the same at Pete for my work.  Would he
be interested in starting a package purely with the intention of
developing the backend (in case he - like me - is still working on the
application, but is interested in having a robust backend)?  Of
course, Richard's stuff sounds interesting as well.

It seems silly to spend time developing this in parallel.

Kasper