[BioC] unable to install qvalue..

Simon Anders anders at embl.de
Mon Feb 21 14:24:38 CET 2011

Hi Martin, Saurabh, John

On 02/21/2011 01:57 PM, Martin Morgan wrote:
> On 02/21/2011 04:36 AM, Saurabh Bundela wrote:
>> I am trying to install qvalue, however its giving installation error  ->
>> Error : package 'tcltk' does not have a name space

> probably one or more of your packages are out of date. Try

I also had problems with qvalue, and there is indeed something seriously
wrong:

The current version of 'qvalue' (v1.24.0 on CRAN, last changed
2010-10-26) depends on 'tcltk'.

Now, if you look at CRAN's tcltk page, you get this here:

"Package ‘tcltk’ was removed from the CRAN repository.
Formerly available versions can be obtained from the archive."

When did that happen? In October, it obviously was still around. The
archive only lists a really old initial version. Could it be that the
CRAN people deleted it accidentally?

The 'tcltk2' package that the OP mentioned seems, by the way, not be a
replacement of 'tcltk' but an add-on. It also lists 'tcltk' lists as one
of its dependencies.

A completely different question is why qvalue depends on tcltk. Does
anybody actually use its GUI interface. To John Storey (CC'ed): What
about moving this out of the package, or making it optional? (I.e.,
remove the dependency on tcltk from the DESCRIPTION file and instead try
to load tcltk only if somebody calls the GUI function.)

Cheers
   Simon

+---