[BioC] Detection calls and LIMMA

Wolfgang Huber whuber at embl.de
Mon Feb 28 10:38:25 CET 2011

Hi Avhena

it is not required, but properly applied filtering can increase
detection power in your experiment while still controlling type-I error
(false positives). The example you mention seems to be one that you want
to keep though, since it is a good candidate for being up-regulated in
the Treatment condition. One possibly reasonable criterion would be,
e.g., to filter out all probesets that are called 'Absent' on all
arrays. Some further discussion on the topic is also here:

[1] Bourgon, Gentleman and Huber. Independent filtering increases
detection power for high-throughput experiments. PNAS, 107(21):9546-9551,

	Best wishes
	Wolfgang