[BioC] DESeq: residuals instead of read counts

Tuuli Lappalainen Tuuli.Lappalainen at unige.ch
Sun Jan 16 10:30:22 CET 2011

I've been using DESeq for RNASeq data analysis of differential
expression of genes and exons. However, I have a dilemma: Instead of
using read count data, I would like to use residuals of linear
regression (after rescaling), but I'm unsure whether this is a valid
thing to do.

The reason to use residuals is the correction for variation in insert
size between lanes (as e.g. in Montgomery et al. Nature 2010) - or
potentially some other confounders as well. I have been planning to
rescale the residuals to have all the values >0, and the median across
the samples per gene the same as in the original count data, and use
these data then similarly to raw counts. Would this be a proper way to
analyze the data?

Many thanks in advance,

Tuuli Lappalainen
Department of Genetic Medicine and Development
University of Geneva Medical School