[BioC] cdf.file for Affymetrix Rat Gene 1.1 ST Array Plate

Hooiveld, Guido Guido.Hooiveld at wur.nl
Tue Jan 18 15:55:14 CET 2011

Hi Oksana,

Let me first say this: as many ppl have said on his list, the preferred workflow for the analyses of Gene ST arrays is by using the libraries 'oligo' or 'xps'; both provide you an integrated workflow directly using the files provided by Affymetrix to analyse these type of arrays.
http://www.bioconductor.org/help/workflows/oligo-arrays/#pre-processing-resources

Having said this, let me answer (part of) your questions: No, you cannot use the CDF file for the Gene 1.0 ST array to analyse the Gene 1.1 ST arrays! However, you may be interested in this thread:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.science.biology.informatics.conductor/32256
and this notification regarding aroma.affymetrix:
"Version: 1.8.3 [2011-01-09]
o Added writeCdf() for AffyGenePDInfo, which replaces pdInfo2Cdf().
  An auxillary CEL file is no longer needed to create a CDF from
  an PDInfo package.  Moreover, contrary pdInfo2Cdf(), the generated
  CDF now gets a correct/formal Affymetrix chip type."
http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/aroma.affymetrix/NEWS

I haven't used the annotation packages you mention, but I *assume* you could use them depending on the CDF you use (gene or transcript-centric).

HTH to get you started,
Guido

Guido Hooiveld, PhD
Nutrition, Metabolism & Genomics Group