[BioC] FC calculation in Limma

Kasper Daniel Hansen kasperdanielhansen at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 02:34:08 CET 2011

What is wrong with this?  Many papers have shown that (some) noise is
additive on the log scale, so the relevant calculation should be
  ave(log(X))
Indeed, using log(ave(X)) goes against essentially the entire field of
microarray analysis.  Of course, there might be special cases, but it
seems you are making a general compliant.  So you need to come with
some convincing references to convince me (us) that there is merit in
your statement.

(of course, I am not a limma author, so my opinion caries little weight).

Kasper

Postdoc, Department of Biostatistics, Johns Hopkins University