[BioC] exonsBy() function from GenomicFeature, preserve transcript names?

Paul Geeleher paulgeeleher at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 20:36:59 CET 2011

Hi,

I've noticed when I use exonsBy() to download exons by transcript like this:

library(GenomicFeatures)
hgTxDb <- makeTranscriptDbFromUCSC(genome="hg18", tablename="ensGene")
eTx <- exonsBy(hgTxDb, 'tx')

That the object returned (eTx in this case) doesn't contain the
transcript names. But if we use

e <- exonsBy(hgTxDb, 'gene')

The ensembl gene names are returned as the names of GRangesList "e".
I'm wondering if there's a convenient way of annotating the eTx object
with the transcript names also?

Thanks,

Paul.

--
Paul Geeleher (PhD Student)
School of Mathematics, Statistics and Applied Mathematics