[BioC] forge BSgenome data package

Hervé Pagès hpages at fhcrc.org
Thu Jan 27 06:07:27 CET 2011

Steve,

On 01/26/2011 06:41 PM, Steve Shen wrote:
> Hi Herve,
>
> Sorry about that I forgot using reply all. Below is my seed file. I am
> dealing with a brand new genome that was published a couple of months
> ago. The genome consists of lots of scaffolds and contigs, no chromosome
> information available. That's why it looks weird. Yous explanation and
> suggestion does make lot of sense to me. I begin to understand some
> basic mechanism of BSgenome. This is great and thanks so much.

Good. Thanks for showing your seed file. I can confirm that you should
probably set seqnames to character(0) and mseqnames to "cflo_v3.3.fold".
However, I should point out that making a BSgenome package with a single
DNAStringSet object in it offers limited added value compared to the
solution that consists in simply loading the DNAStringSet object with
read.DNAStringSet() every time you need to work with it. The small
added value of the BSgenome wrapping here is that it's versioned and
annotated and also it makes it easier to distribute and update thru
the standard R package management infrastructure (local CRAN-style
repository / install.packages() / update.packages()).

> I understand now that the nmask_per_seq parameter should be set to 0
> other than 2 (which I made up previously).

Yes it will be easier if you set nmask_per_seq to 0, at least for now.
If it turns out that you really want to have masks, then you can always
add them later e.g. in the version 1.1.0 of the package.

> However, it looks to me that
> I should probably try some other strategies for this reference genome.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

H.

E-mail: hpages at fhcrc.org
Phone:  (206) 667-5791