[BioC] What's the best way to make svg device on Windows available

Wolfgang Huber whuber at embl.de
Fri Jan 28 17:55:53 CET 2011

Hi

I have a package (arrayQualityMetrics) that works best when the 'svg'
device is available, which afaIu requires that capabilities("cairo") is
TRUE and is not the case on many current Windows installations of R.

I admit I have not paid attention to Windows-related things for a while;
I've done a fair bit of googling on the topic, but am still unsure about
a few things:

- What's the best practice to make the user experience good for Windows
users?

- How to help them to make the 'svg' device available to their R?

- Or should I not use 'svg' if I want the package experience be painless
for Windows people?

- Would it be worthwhile to build and distribute Windows binaries for R
that include libcairo/svg? (Or team up with the people who provide those
on CRAN?)

Best wishes
	Wolfgang

Wolfgang Huber