[BioC] 3-way interaction with limma

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Sat Jul 9 00:22:27 CEST 2011

Hi Elina,

The F-test you are using tests whether any of the four contrasts are
non-zero.  Since each of the four contrasts compares a mated group back to
corresponding non-mated group, it follows that the F-test is testing
whether there is a mating response for any (one or more) female/male type.

The F-test does not specifically test whether the mating responses are
different.  Indeed the F-test will be highly significant if all four
contrasts are equally large, i.e., when there is a large but consistent
mating response.

If you want to test whether the mating responses are different, you need
make contrasts between the mating effects, as I suggested in my previous
email.  There are three possible degrees of freedom for this.  You could
for example define:

cont.matrix3 <- makeContrasts(
   A.DvsA.C = Mating.A.D - Mating.A.C,
   B.DvsB.C = Mating.B.D - Mating.B.C,
   BvsA = (Mating.A.C + Mating.A.C - Mating.B.C - Mating.B.D)/2,
levels=colnames(fit2))
fit3 <- contrasts.fit(fit2, cont.matrix3)
fit3 <- eBayes(fit3)

etc.

Best wishes
Gordon

On Fri, 8 Jul 2011, Elina Immonen wrote:

> [...]
> one another for any of the mating groups? GO and KEGG terms enriched for
> this group of genes are meaningful.
>
> I'm pretty encouraged by these results, but I'd be grateful to hear your
> opinion on whether what I see is correctly done and means what I think
> it does.
>
> Thank you very much for your help!
>
> Best wishes,
> Elina
>

> On 6 Jul 2011, at 23:42, Gordon K Smyth wrote:
>
>> Hi Elina,
>>
>> If I understand your aims correctly, I don't think that your contrast is quite right.
>>
>> It's probably helpful to back to first principles here, rather than framing the question in terms of interactions.  My understanding is that you are interested in differential expression (DE) between mated and non-mated females, and in whether this DE depends on the type of male or female.  Basically, you are able to compute four possible mating effects:
>>
>>  Mating.A.C = A.C.yes - A.none.no
>>  Mating.A.D = A.D.yes - A.none.no
>>  Mating.B.C = B.C.yes - B.none.no
>>  Mating.B.D = B.D.yes - A.none.no
>>
>> I would suggest that you make each of these contrasts and examine then individually.  The limma code is almost exactly as above:
>>
>> cont.matrix <- makeContrasts(
>>  Mating.A.C = A.C.yes - A.none.no,
>>  Mating.A.D = A.D.yes - A.none.no,
>>  Mating.B.C = B.C.yes - B.none.no,
>>  Mating.B.D = B.D.yes - A.none.no,
>> levels=design)
>>
>> You can also make contrasts between any of the mating effects.  For example, does the type of the male make any difference for A females?
>>
>>  A.DvsC = Mating.A.D - Mating.A.C = A.D.yes - A.C.yes
>>
>> Note that this is not really an interaction.  It is just a comparison between two groups, because the non-mated baseline cancels out. Similarly, does the type of male make any difference for B females?
>>
>>  B.DvsC = B.D.yes - B.C.yes
>>
>> Approached this way, I think you'll find all the contrasts easy to interpret.
>>
>> Best wishes
>> Gordon
>>
>>> Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2011 11:12:23 +0100
>>> From: Elina Immonen <ei10 at st-andrews.ac.uk>
>>> To: bioconductor at r-project.org
>>> Subject: [BioC] 3-way interaction with limma
>>>
>>> Dear list,
>>>
>>> I am trying to pull out a contrast for 3-way interaction using limma, but as I'm pretty new to microarrays I'm puzzling whether I got it right or not. So far I haven't been able to find much info for doing an interaction model involving three factors, so any help is much appreciated.
>>>
>>> Here I'm interested in whether the female response to mating depends on female x male type interaction. That is, whether the difference btw. mated and virgin females depends on combination of females and males.
>>>
>>> I have 36 one-color Agilent custom arrays with the following nested design:
>>>
>>> Factor 1: mating status, levels= yes, no
>>> Factor 2: female type, levels= A, B
>>> Factor 3: male type, levels= C, D, none (dummy)

>>> yes				A				C
>>> yes				A				D
>>> no				A				none
>>> yes				B				C
>>> yes				B				D
>>> no				B				none
>>>

>>> Here is my script:
>>>
>>> MatingS <- factor(eset$MatingStatus)
>>> FT <- factor(eset$FemaleType)
>>> MT <- factor(eset$MaleType)
>>>
>>> Mating <- paste (FT, MT, MatingS, sep=".")
>>> Mating <- factor(Mating, levels=c("A.C.yes",  "A.D.yes", "B.C.yes", "B.D.yes", "A.none.no",  "B.none.no"))
>>>
>>> design <- model.matrix(~0+ Mating)
>>> colnames(design)<-levels(Mating)
>>>
>>> fit <- lmFit(eset, design)
>>>
>>> cont.matrix <- makeContrasts((A.C.yes-A.none.no)*0.25-(A.D.yes-A.none.no)*0.25-(B.C.yes-B.none.no)*0.25-(B.D.yes-B.none.no)*0.25,
>>> levels=design)
>>>
>>> fit2 <-contrasts.fit(fit, cont.matrix)
>>> fit2 <- eBayes(fit2)
>>>
>>> My questions are:
>>>
>>> 1. Is this appropriate way of doing the contrast?
>>> 2. Why do I get a different number of sig. genes if I swap the order of terms (i.e. bits under parentheses)? In my second approach I've done the contrast in a similar way but with the terms in different orders (all the possible combinations), and then used F test to get a list of genes significant in any of them.