[BioC] Multiple regression, how to do fit all/stepwise/backward methods

andrea.grilli at ior.it andrea.grilli at ior.it
Fri Jul 15 11:07:09 CEST 2011

Hi to all,
I want to perform multiple regression analysis, to see if expression
of some miRs could influence growth agar (as number of cells) in a
group of cell lines.

I've imported log2 expression data from previous array analysis for
miRs, and I log2 transformed number of cells. I can calculate linear
regression with lm, and I used same procedure for multiple regression,
as follow:

matrix <- read.table("expression_file.txt", header = TRUE, sep = "\t")
attach(matrix)
miRs = cbind(miR-1, miR-2, miR-3, miR-4, miR-x)
agar_log = cbind(log2_n_colonies)
model = lm(agar_log ~ miRs)
summary(model)

Do you know if lm can also perform the so-called (i) fit all (ii)
stepwise regression or (iii) backward regression methods to calculate
most significant model? Do you know if others packages can do it?

I'm pretty new to Bioconductor and I didn't find how to do this analysis.
Thanks in advance,
Andrea

Dr. Andrea Grilli
andrea.grilli at ior.it