[BioC] how to extract GO terms at different level of DAG

Marc Carlson mcarlson at fhcrc.org
Fri Jul 15 20:17:47 CEST 2011

Hi Ed,

You didn't follow the posting guide and give me an example to work with
so I have to make one up.  So here goes.  Lets suppose that you had this
GO term you were interested in: GO:0000127 "transcription factor TFIIIC
complex", I also note that this term is a CC term. That detail will be
important below.  You can learn all this from the GOTERM mapping in the
GO.db package BTW like this:

library(GO.db)
Term("GO:0000127")
Ontology("GO:0000127")

Now lets suppose that we wanted to know who the parent and child terms
are for this GO ID.  How would we do it?  Like this:

get("GO:0000127", GOCCPARENTS)

get("GO:0000127", GOCCCHILDREN)

And what if we wanted to know all the parents or all the children all
the way up/down the DAG? Like this:

get("GO:0000127", GOCCANCESTOR)

get("GO:0000127", GOCCOFFSPRING)

Hope this helps,