[BioC] Library installation: odd error

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Fri Jul 15 20:47:34 CEST 2011

Hi Michael,

On 7/15/2011 11:58 AM, Michael Bauer wrote:
> [...]
>>> occasion. I'll check out the one that caused you havoc (sg) as we
>>> also have
>>> that one installed, but the datestamp on it is from 2009, and we've
>>> successfully installed quite a bit since then.
>> Heh .. that's pretty funny. I wonder if it's too late for me to go out
>> and buy a lotto ticket tonight ...
>>
>>> That datestamp, on the other hand, makes me suspect that several of
>>> our R
>>> libraries are significantly out of date. As a simple check, I'm
>>> building R
>>> from scratch in an alternate directory and will see if it can handle
>>> installs.
>> Dollars to donuts it will.
>>
>>> One question: is there any R configuration directory that I should be
>>> looking in for environment changes, or is everything handled through
>>> environment variables in the appropriate shell configuration?
>> The R shell script should handle most of that, so I guess you can peak
>> through that to see what it's doing.
>>
>> Also, each user can have an .Rprofile file in their home directory
>> (~/.Rprofile) that R will normally load so that the user can tweak
>> his/her R environment as they please.
>>
>> Something else regarding what you mentioned about old timestamps on
>> many of your libraries: that seems like a bad thing in general,
>> especially since (if I remember correctly) you said you're running the
>> latest version of R (2.13.x).
>>
>> R libraries that were build for one version of R shouldn't be copied
>> over and used in new R versions.
>>
>> If I were you, and was looking for a quick fix, I'd:
>>
>> (1) move that sg package out of the way for now, ie. move the `sg`
>> directory outside of your R's library directory (you can fix it later
>> using the info from that posting to that shogun list I sent
>> previously, once everything is back to normal).
>>
>> (2) Try to install a random package to make sure that the `sg` package
>> was the one causing the problem. glmnet is always handy to have:
>>
>> R> install.packages('glmnet')
>>
>> It actually requires a FORTRAN compiler, so if that gives you
>> problems, maybe you can try plyr
>>
>> R> install.packages('plyr')
>>
>> (3) Assuming (2) worked, now update your installed packages from
>> within R as described on the bioconductor install page
>> (http://www.bioconductor.org/install/) -- perhaps using the nuclear
>> option:
>>
>> R> source("http://bioconductor.org/biocLite.R")
>> R> pkgs<- rownames(installed.packages())
>> R> biocLite(pkgs)
>>
>> Although I'm pretty sure the option listed before that on that install
>> page would work all the same ...
>>
>> -steve
>>

> As it turns out, yes, the old libraries were the obstruction. The new R
> I built worked fine until I added either one of the old library
> directories to R_LIBS. So now I have the joy of ripping out all the
> existing R libraries and replacing them with ones that people still want
> system-wide -- fortunately a far smaller set.

It sounds like you are updating R and then just copying things into the
new R's library directory. This will always end in tears unless you
ensure that the packages all get updated (R and especially BioC have a
tightly linked version structure, so you don't want to mix'n'match).

You will have to download packages to update, so moving things isn't
usually worth it. If you just want to recreate what you had after a new
R install, you can fire up the old version and do

dput(row.names(installed.packages(priority = "NA")))

Then copy that character vector and go to the new version and do

source("http://www.bioconductor.org/biocLite.R")
biocLite(paste_the_vector_here)

alternatively, you could move the library directory over, then

source("http://www.bioconductor.org/biocLite.R")
biocLite("Biobase")
library(Biobase)
z <- biocReposList()