[BioC] time series analysis with limma package

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Wed Jul 20 00:52:23 CEST 2011

Dear Xiaokuan,

You are correct that the time course example in the limma User's Guide
assumes that all the samples are independent.  When the time course is of
a repeated measures nature, you can estimate the correlation between the
repeated measures using the duplicateCorrelation() function in limma, with
the block argument indicating each time course replicate.  The correlation
is then input to the lmFit() function and carried through all the
analysis.  This was done for example in the following paper:

Peart, MJ., Smyth, GK., van Laar, RK., Richon, VM., Holloway, AJ,
Johnstone, RW (2005). Identification and functional significance of genes
regulated by structurally diverse histone deacetylase inhibitors.
Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of
America 102, 3697-3702.

Best wishes
Gordon