[BioC] two color microarray normalization

axel.klenk at actelion.com axel.klenk at actelion.com
Thu Jul 21 09:37:29 CEST 2011

Dear Bryan,

when working with two-color arrays, you're typically using the log2 fold
change M
( log2(CY5) - log2(CY3) ) and the average intensity A ( (log2(CY5) +
log2(CY3))/2 )
instead of separate intensities by channel and limma's normalization
functions
will do the conversion for you, see ?normalizeWithinArrays and/or Ch. 6 of
limmaUsersGuide().

If you want to have normalized intensities, you can back-transform the
normalization
results using ?RG.MA (note that the resulting values will be unlogged).

Limma can also perform separate channel analysis of two-color data, see
Ch. 9
of the user's guide if that's what you want.

Cheers,

 - axel

Axel Klenk
Research Informatician
Actelion Pharmaceuticals Ltd / Gewerbestrasse 16 / CH-4123 Allschwil /
Switzerland