[BioC] heat maps

Brinsmade, Shaun R. Shaun.Brinsmade at tufts.edu
Thu Jun 9 22:44:21 CEST 2011

Hi All,
This is not a Bioconductor question per se, but I was wondering if people have used the heatmap() function to create heatmaps of gene expression data. I would like to put a color key indicating changes in expression, but there is no apparent argument for "key". Alternatively, I believe that the gplots package contains an enhanced heatmap generator (heatmap.2) which does allow color keys to be made, but after downloading gplots, I tried to load the package and got the following:

trying URL 'http://stat.ethz.ch/CRAN/bin/macosx/leopard/contrib/2.12/gplots_2.8.0.tgz'
Content type 'application/x-tar' length 332781 bytes (324 Kb)
opened URL
downloaded 324 Kb

The downloaded packages are in
/var/folders/Mg/Mgbv9bdKEqykYZ+cmG5adE+++TI/-Tmp-//RtmprvL7Vp/downloaded_packages
Error: package 'gtools' could not be loaded
In addition: Warning message:
In library(pkg, character.only = TRUE, logical.return = TRUE, lib.loc = lib.loc) :
  there is no package called 'gtools'

Has anyone seen this problem before? If someone has an alternative method for generating a heat map from a .csv file, I'd love to know.

Thanks,
Shaun