[BioC] colors in plotCtCategory heatmap

Heidi Dvinge heidi at ebi.ac.uk
Sat Jun 11 14:35:27 CEST 2011

Dear Manuela,

> Dear Heidi,
>
> I am trying your nice package for the analysis of Fluidigm array data.
>
> I think I found a problem in the heatmap coloring within plotCtCategory.
> In especially, if in a sample there are not all the three categories "OK",
> "Undetermined" and "Unreliable" but only let's say "OK" and "Unreliable",
> the (default) colors for this sample show up in the heatmap as green and
> red instead of green and yellow. The problem seems related to the
> conversion of the categories to factor levels - in the absence of one
> category there will always just be levels 1 and 2 and not e.g. 1 and 3.

thanks for the feedback, and for the nice, self-contained example.

You're absolutely right that the colours in plotCtCategory can be
confusing (and potentially misleading!) in the example you provide, since
the default colours listed in the documentation are wrong.

I must admit that this is something I never put much thought into; since
the user can in principle have completely different different categories
than OK/Undetermined/Unrealiable I din't want to make the colour scheme to
"rigid".

As such, the colours can always be set using the col parameter, e.g.
plotCtCategory(q, by.feature=T, col=c("red", "yellow"))

This isn't optimal though. I'll change the documentation and default
behaviour of plotCtCategory to reflect this. If you would like a fix for
this rather than specifying your colours with "col=", then please let me
know so I can port it to the release version of HTqPCR. Otherwise it'll go
into the devel version.

Thanks
\Heidi