[BioC] PreFiltering probe in microarray analysis

wxu at msi.umn.edu wxu at msi.umn.edu
Sun Jun 12 17:40:54 CEST 2011

Hi, Dear Wolfgang,

I think it would nice to bring up a discussion here about the gene
prefiltering issue. Please point me out if this suggestion is
inappropriate.

There are two questions in the gene filtering which I could not find answers:
1). In the traditional multiple tests to correct the p-values of many test
groups for example, in a new drug effect experiment, is it appropriate to
remove some group tests from the whole experiment? If not, why can we
prefilter the genes?
2). As I stated in the previous email, we assume that the raw pvalues and
the top lowest-pvalue genes are the same before (35k genes) and after gene
filtering (5k genes), the gene x you selected from 35K versus the one
selected from 5K, which is more sound? In other words, the best student
selected from 1000 students versus the best student selected from 100,
which is more sound?

So this is a question of the whole point of gene prefiltering approach.

Best wishes,

Wayne