[BioC] Limma : post statistical gene filtering

Kevin R. Coombes kevin.r.coombes at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 17:23:34 CEST 2011

If you filter the genes after performing the t-test, then I will not
believe the results.  Filtering based on any criteria that knows how
much the genes differ between the two groups being contrasted (fold
change, p-value, etc.) is statistically and scientifically invalid.

People have made (and continue to make) the argument that it is
safe/sound/reasonable to filter on criteria that do not rely on the
results of the statistical test. examples of these kinds of filters are
ones that look at the mean (max or some percentile) of the gene
expression across the entire data set, or at the variance or range
across the entire data set.

If you have no differential expression, then filtering is not going to
magically create it for you.  I would advise one of the following options
[1] Rank the genes by the p-value or t-statistic (possibly filtered by
fold change) and perform PCR on the top ten to see if any of them can
actualy be confirmed.
[2] Run more arrays so you have enough replicates to provide adequate
power to discover smaller differences in expression than you can expect
to find with only two replicates per group.

     Kevin