[BioC] median normalization in limma

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Mon Jun 20 00:44:43 CEST 2011

Dear S Fazeli,

Median normalization does not affect the spread of the M-values within
each array, but it does affect the spread of the M-values between arrays.
The whole purpose of normalization is to make different arrays more alike.

You would be better off displaying boxplots by array, as illustrated in
the limma User's Guide for the Swirl data set.

Best wishes
Gordon