[BioC] MA plots for single channel agilent array data, plotMA3by2 and atomic vectors issue

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Sun Jun 26 03:34:40 CEST 2011

Hi Richard,

I'll reply to this email and your second question on June 19 about making
MA plots together.

First, how to make a simple MA-plot.  limma makes MA-plots for single
channel data automatically.  limma didn't use to have internal support for
generic single channel data, but it has had for past couple of years.  So
you no longer need the work around for reading the data that you've used
below.  Instead you can simply use:

x <- read.maimages(files=dir(),source="agilent",green.only=TRUE)

Then limma will read your data into an EListRaw data object, which
represents single channel data.  You'll be able to type

y <- backgroundCorrect(x,method="normexp",offset=16)
plotMA(y,array=2)
y <- normalizeBetweenArrays(y,method="quantile")

etc etc.

In general, limma knows what to do with an EList object.  The function
plotMA3by2() is an exception, because it is written strictly for two-color
data (as the help page explains).  You cannot give it an simple matrix,
because a matrix does not comprise two color information.  There is no
reason that a single channel version couldn't exist, but you're the first
to ask for it.

You can still use plotMA3by2() for your single channel data by making a
pseudo two-color data object by:

   E <- y$E
   A <- matrix(rowMeans(E),nrow(E),ncol(E))
   MA <- new("MAList",list(M=E,A=A))
   plotMA3by2(MA)

Best wishes
Gordon