[BioC] biocLite and limma

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Wed Jun 29 18:22:26 CEST 2011

Hi Naomi,

Please start a new thread, rather than responding to an existing thread
and simply changing the subject line. For those of us using a
thread-aware email client, this appears to be part of the '2 way anova
in Bioconductor' thread.

On 6/29/2011 12:01 PM, Naomi Altman wrote:
> statmod does not get installed along with limma. Even if I install
> statmod manually, it does not load when limma is loaded (although it
> does when it is needed). This problem has persisted for several
> generations of limma.

This isn't a problem, it is a feature. The statmod package is listed as
a suggested package, rather than a dependency, so it won't be installed
by default, nor will it be loaded by default.

Suggested packages are those that are not critical to the functionality
of a package, but that can extend functionality in certain
circumstances. Since statmod is only used in cases where end users
choose to fit mixed models (likely a fairly rare event, and done so by
more sophisticated users), listing statmod in suggests reduces downloads
and loading of something not likely to be useful for the average limma user.

Best,

Jim

> --Naomi

> Search the archives: