[BioC] Comparing Two Affymetrix Arrays Question

Abboud, Ramzi Ramzi_Abboud at URMC.Rochester.edu
Thu Jun 30 14:39:46 CEST 2011

Jenny,

Thank you for the reply.

I just wanted to post to round things out.  I have loaded my data into GSEA and am seeing what I can learn in that environment.  It is relatively simple to use, the difficulty is in interpreting the results.

Thanks to all for the help.

Ramzi

From: Jenny Drnevich [drnevich at illinois.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 9:37 AM
To: Abboud, Ramzi; bioconductor at r-project.org
Subject: Re: [BioC] Comparing Two Affymetrix Arrays Question

Hi Ramzi,

As far as I can tell, your code looks correct. So yes, group A and
group B are too similar to show significant differences after
correction for multiple testing. That's not the same as saying there
are no genes that are differentially expressed between the two, just
that you can't pick them out of the expected false positives. You
could also see this visually by doing some sort of hierarchical
clustering and/or PCA clustering on your samples - Wild type sample
would probably cluster together, but the Group A and Group B would be
intermingled. You can still rank your genes in the A vs. B comparison
and looks among the top genes to look for interesting candidates -
you could do qPCR on additional samples for these potential
candidates to confirm them. You could also do something like GSEA
that uses the entire ranked list of genes to see if any pathways or
GO terms are over-represented at the top of the list; if there were
truly no significant differences, then the placement of genes should
be random in your lists.

HTH,
Jenny