[BioC] rpy save session and package downloads

Tue Mar 1 00:47:59 CET 2011

Hi,

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 6:34 PM, rna seq <rna.seeker at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Sean,
>
> Thanks for getting back. There are two questions, the first I will direct
> towards the rpy list as you suggest. But the second is that as you say these
> packages are loaded using "library", but once I log off a session, the
> packages that are loaded are lost once a session is over.

They're not lost -- they're still installed on your system.

> I am trying to
> save these packages because some such as "BSgenome.Hsapiens.UCSC.hg19" are
> rather large.

How do you mean?

R> > system.time(suppressPackageStartupMessages(library(BSgenome.Hsapiens.UCSC.hg19)))
   user  system elapsed
  3.888   0.068   3.956

It takes so long because it also has to load several other packages.
But still, this is a one time cost. Is that what you're talking about,
though?

Also -- it's usually bad form to cross post between lists (the
previous emails were sent to bioc and r-help) -- I removed r-help from
the cc field.

-steve

--
Steve Lianoglou