[BioC] GenomicFeatures: makeGeneDbFromBiomart()

Marc Carlson mcarlson at fhcrc.org
Thu Mar 3 01:16:04 CET 2011

Hi Guido,

If you just want gene information, then the
makeTranscriptDbFromBiomart() function should already give you gene IDs
affiliated with the transcripts along with grouping information in
convenient GRangesList objects.  Yes, this database is focused on the
transcripts and their components, but it is not meant to be isolated
from proper gene IDs.

And if you want to then link that information to more classic
gene-centric annotations then you might want to look at something like
the org.Hs.eg.db package (which includes IDs for ensembl IDs).

Using these two resources together, our hope was that it should be
possible to do a large number of meaningful things.  So what
specifically was it that you needed to do?

  Marc