[BioC] R CMD check : biocLite warning

Vincent Carey stvjc at channing.harvard.edu
Fri May 6 15:28:35 CEST 2011

IMHO you should not be sourcing/calling biocLite in this way.  You
could use require(annotpkg, character.only=TRUE) (I think) and issue
an error if it fails, indicating to the user that they need to install
annotpkg and, if you like, suggesting to them that they use biocLite.
There are other packages that do real-time installation of, for
example, CDFs, when such are lacking, so your approach has precedents,
but I believe that embedding automatic software installation in user
applications causes more headaches than it remedies, particularly when
missing packages are large or not properly detected, or network
connectivity is lacking.

Furthermore I believe this message on visible global is not a warning
but a NOTE.  warnings must be eliminated from released packages but
NOTEs are not required to be eliminated ... for the moment.