[BioC] ChIP-Seq Normalization - Quantile (Rank) normalization

Alicia Oshlack alicia.oshlack at mcri.edu.au
Tue May 10 13:44:35 CEST 2011

Hi Henry,

In my view it's not obvious how you would perform quantile normalization on ChIP-seq data. Were you planning to bin the data then quantile normalize binned counts? Then you run into the issue of what bin size to use for all you analysis and most peak-finding programs will not take binned data. Even if you use each base as a bin we know there are base specific biases so it's not clear that this would be effective especially as there will be very many 0 and 1 counts.

Cheers,
Alicia

Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 09:13:18 +1000

Hi Henry:

	There are a few BioC packages which can perform quantile normalization. One of them is the normalizeQuantiles function in limma.

Cheers,
Wei