[BioC] [Bioc-sig-seq] interaction factor in edgeR

Biase, Fernando biase at illinois.edu
Wed May 11 04:21:59 CEST 2011

Dear Prof Smyth,

in

design <- model.matrix(~ a + b + a:b , data=targets)

my interest is in factor a  (coef=2).

""Do you expect the effect of experimental factor b to be same for each level of a?  If yes, then maybe you don't need the interaction term.  It depends on your experiment and on the questions you want to ask.""""

I am not sure, but I guess the answer is no. The experiment consists of embryos collected at two time points (factor a), normal or cloned embryos (factor b). And on top of it, it is an unbalanced sample. I have previously tested the hypothesis of whether cloning affects the gene expression, for which I do not need the first factor (a). I am using the factor b as a block to test the hypothesis of whether the expression is different between time points (factor a).

Please, let me know if you think otherwise.

thanks for the reply,

Fernando