[BioC] problem with rat database

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Wed May 25 16:59:11 CEST 2011

Hi Alberto,

On 5/25/2011 5:35 AM, Alberto Goldoni wrote:
> Dear All,
> i'm working with a agilent rat microarry, what i would to know if
> there is a script or a package that starting from the GeneName
> "CB606456" it gives to me the Genomic location(strand)  for example
> chr 7:16261621-16262210 as you can do pasting the GeneName "CB606456"
> to the ensamble database.

That's not a gene name, as it points to an EST, which isn't AFAIK a
gene. Instead it is an EST ID or some such thing.

The problem with the sort of query you want is that most of the
available tools aren't as sophisticated as the Ensembl browser, which
seamlessly queries lots of different databases when you paste something
in the query window. If you want to do this sort of thing
programmatically, you will have to know for sure what sort of inputs you
are using, as you have to know which table to query.

Are all of the IDs you have similar to the one you supply? If so, you
will need to figure out exactly what they are (Ensembl isn't
particularly enlightening), and then maybe we can help you to do your
query. If you have other IDs, like entrez gene or ensembl, that would be
much better.

Best,

Jim

--