[BioC] Convert gene expression matrix to ExpressionSet

Robert Castelo robert.castelo at upf.edu
Mon Nov 7 09:43:21 CET 2011

hi Wendy,

a little late, but if you consult pages 3 to 6 of the reference manual at:

http://www.bioconductor.org/packages/2.9/bioc/manuals/GSVA/man/GSVA.pdf

or the online help page of the gsva() function from the R shell with:

help(gsva)

you'll see that the gsva() function also accepts a matrix where rows
correspond to genes and columns to samples. however, it is a very good
practice to put your gene expression and phenotypic data into an
ExpressionSet object to ensure integrity of both types of data. in the
framework of the gsva() function it can also help you a lot if you're
going to work with gene sets from the Broad Institute since the mapping
steps between genes in the gene sets and genes in your expression matrix
may be non-trivial for the non-experienced user and by passing an
ExpressionSet and GeneSetCollection objects, this mapping logic will be
seamless handled by the function. do not hesitate to post any question
about this.

cheers,
robert.