[BioC] IlluminaHumanMethylation450k.db Reference Versions

Marc Carlson mcarlson at fhcrc.org
Fri Nov 11 01:58:51 CET 2011

The behavior of all of the mappings (with exceptions for those ones that
Tim has has previously "adjusted" such as CHR), will "hide" the probes
that match multiple entrez gene IDs.  This happens because the 450k.db
was made as a chip package, and chip packages were specifically designed
to hide probes that behave that way by default.  The reason for this
behavior is because chip packages were originally designed to work
primarily as mRNA microarrray platforms.  So the default behavior is not
really broken, or even really inappropriate.  It's just that this is an
atypical use case.  But the data is all in there, and you absolutely CAN
get to it with really very little trouble.  You just have to use the
toggleProbes method to expose it.

You can use it like this:

## step 1: create a mapping that exposes ALL the probes regardless of
how many genes the match:
fullAliasMapping <-
toggleProbes(IlluminaHumanMethylation450kALIAS2PROBE, "all")

## step 2: use that mapping instead of
IlluminaHumanMethylation450kALIAS2PROBE
head(toTable(fullAliasMapping))

## You can compare the two mappings to see how they behave differently:
dim(toTable(IlluminaHumanMethylation450kALIAS2PROBE))
dim(toTable(fullAliasMapping))

I understand that Tim is planning to modify this package so that it's
default behavior is more in line with what users of this platform
expect, which is a terrific thing for him to do.  But in the meantime,
the package is perfectly serviceable, you just have to know how to use
the toggleProbes method.

   Marc