[BioC] Error while building ExpressionSet from scratch....

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Mon Nov 14 18:35:15 CET 2011

On 11/14/2011 04:37 AM, Bas Jansen wrote:
> Hi Bioconductor gurus:
>
> I am trying to make ExpressionSet files for the analysis of PCR
> arrays, to be able to analyze them in LMGene. However, I get the
> following error message:
>
>> eSet_xxx<- new("ExpressionSet", exprs = exprs_xxx, phenoData = phenoData_xxx, experimentData = experimentData)
> Error in function (classes, fdef, mtable)  :
>    unable to find an inherited method for function
> "annotatedDataFrameFrom", for signature "data.frame"

you're not providing a featureData instance, so R is trying to infer one
from exprs. My guess is that exprs is data.frame, but should be a matrix.

In R-2.14 there is the function ExpressionSet() which might make this
more transparent

 > args(ExpressionSet)
function (assayData, phenoData = annotatedDataFrameFrom(assayData,
     byrow = FALSE), featureData = annotatedDataFrameFrom(assayData,
     byrow = TRUE), experimentData = new("MIAME"), annotation =
character(),
     protocolData = annotatedDataFrameFrom(assayData, byrow = FALSE),
     ...)
NULL

Martin