[BioC] Chip-seq quality control

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Tue Oct 4 20:57:52 CEST 2011

On 10/04/2011 07:33 AM, Ivan Gregoretti wrote:
 > Hello Lucia,
 >
 > A proper response to your post would take a lecture rather than an
 > email. I can't do that but I can bullet the main points. I think that
 > it will help you if you are indeed a newcomer to ChIP-seq.
 >
 > 1) Expect 10 million reads per sample for a genome the size of human.

I'd run some basic QA on your lanes, via ShortRead::qa on the fastq
files (or bam if fastq are not available); use FastqSampler if memory is
tight (but in general if memory is tight the solution will be to find a
larger computer).

See http://bioconductor.org/help/workflows/high-throughput-sequencing/
for qa and perhaps other operations common to RNAseq / ChIPseq work flows

 > 2) Stick to SAM/BAM formats so that you can use well known, publicly
 > available tools. Your best friend is called Picard.

People can and do use R / Bioconductor for Picard-like tasks.

 > 3) Remove duplicates. Again, Picard is your best friend.

 > 4) Create WIG files for all samples, treatments and controls so that
 > you can display them simultaneously on any genome browser.

here for interactive use I would rather use basic R plotting commands,
avoiding the round-trip and allowing programmatic interaction.

 > 5) Find peaks with a well documented peak finder.

probably a good suggestion for a one-off or common ChIP; the chipseq
vignette

   http://bioconductor.org/packages/release/bioc/html/chipseq.html

provides inspiration for more flexible analysis; packages under the
ChIPseq biocViews term (Software --> AssayTechnologies ->
HighThroughputSequencing->ChIPSeq) might offer a solution tailored to
your ChIP.

 > 6) Compute enrichment for all treatments relative to their controls.

again the chipseq vignette is an alternative source.

 > So, points 4 and 6 are your quality controls at this stage. Once you
 > know what a good immunoprecipitation looks like compared to a bad one,
 > you can start diving into the details. You can invent your own quality

especially at getting a sense for good versus bad results the
interactivity of R / Bioconductor seem essential.

Martin