[BioC] Rsubread vs. BWA, Bowtie, etc. and RPKM vs. normalized counts

Wei Shi shi at wehi.EDU.AU
Tue Oct 11 00:49:35 CEST 2011

Hi Tim,

For the reads of 36bp long, Subread extracts seven 16 mers from each read.
The default cutoff for calling a hit is to require at least three
consensus 16 mers (mapped to the same location). But this setting assumes
that ten 16 mers are extracted from the read. For your data, you should
use TH1=2 rather than the default setting, because the reads are very
short and you can not extract ten 16 mers from each of them.

On the other hand, you might check the sequencing quality of your data. If
the quality is poor, it will be hard to achieve a high mapping percentage
without losing mapping accuracy. The qualityScores function in Rsubread
can help you to retrieve the quality scores from your data.

Cheers,
Wei