[BioC] Using DESeq with ChIP-seq data - all or non-redundant reads?

Ian Donaldson Ian.Donaldson at manchester.ac.uk
Thu Oct 20 17:26:14 CEST 2011

Thank you for your response Ivan!

I completely agree that removing duplicates is a necessary step for peak calling.

I seems as though keeping duplicates is a "double edged sword" where it is not easy to separate PCR artifactual reads from real ones.  I think what, to me, makes using all the reads seem appealing/necessary is that in differential binding you want to see the actual differences in binding intensity (reads).  If non-redundant reads are used then isn't the difference in binding intensity lost or apparently reduced (maybe this does not matter in the DESeq analysis?

Thanks again!

Ian