[BioC] F values from topTable with coef=NULL testing all zero or all equal?

Michael Muratet mmuratet at hudsonalpha.org
Mon Oct 24 21:21:22 CEST 2011

Greetings

This has probably been answered before, but I can't narrow the search
down enough to find it in the archives. I am looking at the output
from and documentation for eBayes and realized that the null
hypothesis for the F statistic is that all the expression values are
zero. I want to test the hypothesis that all the expression values are
equal, i.e., rejection implies differential expression. I see from the
topTable documentation that calling it with coef=NULL will yield an F
statistic calculation, and I infer from the docs it will include all
the conditions. What is the null hypothesis: that all the values are
equal, or that all the values are zero?

Thanks

Mike

Michael Muratet, Ph.D.