[BioC] edgeR

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Sat Sep 3 02:56:39 CEST 2011

Dear Jim,

No, edgeR does not generate simulated data sets for you.

Let me gently point out that this is no unique "null" for RNA-Seq or SNP
data.  Considerable thought needs to go into what distributional
assumptions are appropriate for genomic data.  You might start by reading
some published papers that compare differential expression methods for
RNA-Seq, to see what simulations they chose to do.  Some authors make
available R code to reproduce their simulations.

I have no plans to add a simulation function to the public edgeR package.
There are plenty of functions in R that readily simulate data, from any
distribution that you like.  Anyone undertaking a simulation study is
undertaking methodological research in statistical bioinformatics.
Anyone qualified to undertake methodological research will have particular
requirements for their simulation that are hard to predict in advance, and
should be easily able to write simulation code for themselves, or so it
seems to me.

Best wishes
Gordon