[BioC] Analysing RNA-Seq data using DESeq package

Kayilai, Suryavadhan (MU-Student) skhx5 at mail.missouri.edu
Thu Sep 15 18:58:08 CEST 2011

FOr the 6 sequenced samples, we ran alignments to get expression estimates. The protocol is to align the reads, then count the number of reads falling within the boundaries of the annotated genes, then normalize with respect to the number of reads aligning in each sample(not the sample length).
  The analysis also attempts to capture the non uniquely aligning reads by estimating the unique read counts for each gene, then apportioning the ambiguously aligning reads among the potential sources based on the ratios of read counts among those sources established by the less ambiguous readsie the first round of apportioning assigns 2-mapped reads based on the unique alignments, then 3-mapped reads are apportioned based on the adjusted read counts, and so on).
So, in the attached you'll see three sets of columns for the samples, with those head "unique"
giving the per-million-reads-aligned normalized values for each samples uniquely aligned reads, "apportioned" using the adjusted values as described above, and "total" giving the number of reads aligned to the gene models without regard to their uniqueness. Note that in all cases, we consider only reads mapping to no more than 5 locations.
Hence, the values that are in non integer forms. Kindly help me through this

Suryavadhan