[BioC] Help on PLGEM R Package Data Import

Norman Pavelka normanpavelka at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 13:48:27 CEST 2011

Dear Qi,

As I suggested you already, please direct your questions to the
mailing list and I will be happy to reply to you there. You are
welcome to put me in CC for a more rapid response.

The parameter 'delta' is related to the false positive rate. You can
get a more comprehensive answer in the original paper about PLGEM:
http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2105/5/203

The short answer is: Yes, for proteomics dataset in which you only
survey a few hundred proteins at most, you can increase the false
positive rate ('delta') up to the level that you feel comfortable. For
example, if you only have 500 proteins in a MudPIT dataset, then
choosing a 'delta'=0.01 will result in roughly 5 false positive
identifications. If you run such an analysis and you find 50 proteins
differentially expressed, than your FDR will be roughly 10%.

Please note that proteomics dataset also have a few other special
features compared to microarrays, the most important of which is the
presence of many missing observations. I highly recommend using the
parameter trimAllZeroRows=TRUE and zeroMeanOrSD="trim" for proteomics
data, in order to improve the fitting of the model in case of many
missing values. Out of curiosity what values do you get for the
fitting (slope, r.squared, etc.)?

Hope this helps!
Norman