[BioC] Tktable 2.9 makefile problem

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Mon Apr 2 22:17:48 CEST 2012

On 04/01/2012 12:52 PM, Eric P wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am sorry to bother everybody but I have been trying to solve this
> problem to long with no success, it is probably something really
> simple but I simply cannot find the answer.
>
> I have a question on how to get bioconductor running properly on

for what it's worth, you are having difficulties with a contributed
package, not with Bioconductor per se.

> Ubuntu 11.10 as I have tried everything it seems like and I keep on
> getting this message. But before I go farther can you please email and
> say that you will help me with this because nobody seems to want to
> help or know how to.
>
> "Cannot find Tcl/Tk package "Tktable". affylmGUI cannot conitnue...."
>
> I have installed BWidget like it tells me to.
>
> I have tried to install Tktable 2.9 but cannot. When I try to do so I
> cannot run the make file properly. Then I have ran ./configure>
> output and gotten /Tktable2.9$ ./configure>  output
>> configure: WARNING: "Cannot find Tcl configuration definitions"

Before going down the 'install Tktable from source' route, I'd check
with my package manager whether there was a tktable package available;
it seems like there would be
http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=tktable

If that were to fail, then I might download the 2.10 version from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/tktable/files/tktable/; 2.10 was
apparently released in 2008 so doesn't seem too cutting-dedge.

I see this

Tktable2.10> ./configure
checking for correct TEA configuration... ok (TEA 3.7)
checking for Tcl configuration... configure: error: Can't find Tcl
configuration definitions

Since I have tcl/tk installed (right)? I went looking for tclConfig.sh
(because in the README it says that it will use tkConfig.sh, and I'm
guessing that it is also using something called tclConfig.sh)

Tktable2.10> locate tclConfig.sh
/usr/lib64/itclConfig.sh
/usr/lib64/tclConfig.sh

and take a peak at

Tktable2.10> ./configure --help

so guess at

Tktable2.10> ./configure --with-tcl=/usr/lib64
checking for correct TEA configuration... ok (TEA 3.7)
checking for Tcl configuration... found /usr/lib64/tclConfig.sh
checking for existence of /usr/lib64/tclConfig.sh... loading
checking for Tk configuration... configure: error: Can't find Tk
configuration definitions

which is a little progress, so repeating but for tkConfig.sh

Tktable2.10> ./configure --with-tcl=/usr/lib64 --with-tk=/usr/lib64
config.status: creating Makefile

and then

Tktable2.10> make

seems to work. I would go on to say make install, but would want to make
sure that I did not need to change, at the ./configure stage, --prefix
or --eprefix for my system.

Martin