[BioC] edgeR and tagwise dispersion: overcorrection for multiple tests?

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Thu Apr 5 23:41:22 CEST 2012

Dear Alessandro,

The phenomenon you observe is not generally true, and it is does not
represent "overcorrection for multiple tests".  It is likely to be
specific to your data set.

Please note that we do not recommend the use of common dispersion except
for interpretation purposes.  We always recommend tagwise dispersion.

If you were to use common dispersion for differential expression when the
true dispersions are heterogeneous, and I believe that they generally are,
then you would under-estimate the dispersion for some genes, leading to
overly small p-values, and over-estimate for others, leading to overly
large p-values.  So it would be perfectly possible to get a few very small
p-values before correction for multiple testing but get less significance
after adjustment for a particular data set.

The bottom line is, use tagwise dispersion unless you have just one
residual df.

Best wishes
Gordon