[BioC] normalizing only 2 affy samples

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at uw.edu
Mon Apr 9 16:49:40 CEST 2012

Hi Juliet,

On 4/9/2012 9:55 AM, Juliet Hannah wrote:
> All,
>
> Can anyone suggest a strategy to normalize just two affy samples?
>
> I do not seek to carry out any inferential procedures. I would just
> like to make a scatter plot
> of the expression values from both arrays just to see if the
> experiment worked (that is
> expression is being measured).

When you say 'normalize' do you really mean normalize, or are you using
that term in the context of normalization and summarization, in order to
get probeset-level expression values?

I'll assume for sake of argument that you mean normalization and
summarization.

With only two arrays, it isn't clear what the best course of action
should be. You could argue that mas5() is a better idea, as the model
being fit is probably the simplest, and is more likely to have
assumptions fulfilled. The downside to that approach is that mas5()
really isn't very good.

The summarization method in rma() fits a much more complex model, and
given only two samples, you could argue that the estimates for probe and
chip effects won't be very stable.

So either method has inherent drawbacks with so few samples. I would
tend to use rma() anyway, but that is my bias and is partially dictated
by a long history of using rma(), and a desire for consistency. I
actually doubt there will be that much difference in the end.

You might also consider using an MA plot rather than a scatter plot for
visualization. It will tend to be more interpretable and easier to see
what is going on.

Best,

Jim