[BioC] changing directory in RStudio and Bioconductor AMI and Amazon EC2

Dan Tenenbaum dtenenba at fhcrc.org
Tue Apr 10 21:02:27 CEST 2012

Hi Andrew,

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 11:56 AM, Andrew Yee <yee at post.harvard.edu> wrote:
> I'm not sure if this is the best place to address this question, but
> not sure where else to turn:
>
> I've been exploring RStudio using the Bioconductor ami, ami-b5a079dc,
> and running a micro instance (this has Bioconductor 2.10 and R 2.15 in
> the instance).
>
> I've been able to run RStudio.  However, I can't change into a
> different directory, e.g. setwd('/root'), that is accessible when you
> login via ssh.  Motivation is that I would like to be able to save
> data in a different directory or on a different mounted EBS volume.
> Is this a situation where I need to change some of the permissions?
> If so, which one?
>
> Thanks (and apologies if there is an obvious answer to this, since I'm
> a newbie with Linux).

When you use RStudio through the AMI, you are logging in as the
"ubuntu" user. For security reasons, RStudio does not allow you to log
in as root.

So the solution is to make sure the directory where you want to save
data is writeable by the ubuntu user, or, after you've saved your data
in ubuntu's home directory, ssh in as root and move it to where you
want it to go.

Dan