[BioC] What populates makeTranscriptDbFromBiomart?

Marc Carlson mcarlson at fhcrc.org
Mon Apr 16 19:50:01 CEST 2012

Hi Ravi,

I think part of your question is about whether or not we can trust
ensembl to be internally consistent between what they put into their gtf
files and what they expose via biomaRt.  That's not really a
bioconductor question since we really only present what is available at
the resource in question, but we can still use bioconductor to ask
questions about it.  You can for example use the import() method from
rtracklayer to bring the information in from the gtf file and compare
that to the information that makeTranscriptDbFromBiomart() assembles
from biomaRt.  I would encourage you to make comparisons if you feel
motivated, (but bear in mind that some kinds of data may not be present
in the GTF file).  And if you should find any legitimate discrepancies,
the people at ensembl are usually quite responsive at explaining or
correcting them (depending on what is appropriate).  But usually, there
are no real problems with this resource.  The folks at ensembl are
highly reliable.

But as Steve was pointing out, even if everything is the same you will
have reads that are just not part of the known transcriptome.  So some
proportion of your reads are not going to match up to anything that is
well characterized.  Of the reads that don't match up, some of them are
likely to be from unknown transcripts, and some will be noise, but both
are to be expected.

   Marc