[BioC] 回复: TMM factors

Mark Robinson mark.robinson at imls.uzh.ch
Sat Apr 21 18:39:16 CEST 2012

Dear Sooby,

Please keep posts on the list and see:

On 21.04.2012, at 18:17, Sooby wrote:

> I'm not sure about the library size you mentioned.
> Is it the total reads of a sample or the sum of the reads mapped to each gene.
> I mean, if the total reads of a sample is 1,000,100,
> but when I mapped the reads to the gene, I got a list of gene with reads mapped to it, and the sum of this is 900,000.
> Do I use 1,000,000 or 900,000??

I feel like I answered this already.  My previous response was "Usually, total number of mapped reads.", which would suggest 900,000 in your example.

> The normalization factor I calculate is like 0.5,1.5,1.3 ,but in you manual they are all near to 1.
> Is it right??

It is more extreme than I normally see, but it could be ok.  Have you looked at your data?  Figure 1 of the edgeR user's guide gives an example "smear" plot.  Perhaps you should look at one of those for your data and assess whether the normalization factors are appropriate.

Best,
Mark