[BioC] Motif search -- access to JASPAR, MotIV package, more TF-PWM relationships?

Paul Shannon pshannon at fhcrc.org
Mon Apr 23 18:35:07 CEST 2012

(redirecting this back to the Bioc list…)

Hi Nooshin,

The 'bulk' approach is not quite so ready as I predicted.  I might have something by the end of the week.

As for mapping between PWMs and TFs, I have most often done this with 'tom-tom' from the meme website.

But I just discovered what looks like a good -- maybe better -- approach:  the Bioconductor MotIV package, which includes a 2010 version of jasper.
Try this:

   source("http://bioconductor.org/biocLite.R")

biocLite ('MotIV')
library (MotIV);
browseVignettes ('MotIV')

The jaspar data in this package has 130 TF-PWM mappings, which appear to be human.  More must be known, and publicly available.  The JASPAR website has a 'JASPAR CORE Plantae'  data set that
   - is probably what you are interested in
   - might be downloadable, and convertible to the form MotIV wants.

Perhaps other readers of the list have other suggestions.

If you have any questions on this, please include 'BioC' in your reply, so that we can all get better at this!

 - Paul