[BioC] edgeR: tagwise dispersion in 2-factorial vs. 1-factorial design

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Wed Apr 25 04:12:35 CEST 2012

Dear Henning,

Making decisions about how whether to analyse a data set as a whole or in
pieces depends on the specifics of your problem and your data, and there
is no univeral answer.  I can tell you however that I almost always
analyse all the data from one study together, i.e., I would most often use
the 2-factorial approach.  Generally it pays to pool information about the
dispersion from multiple groups.  Of course you should do some exploratory
analysis using a MDS plot or similar to see if there are any problem
libraries, for any of the three genotypes.

Best wishes
Gordon