[BioC] (no subject)

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Fri Aug 10 01:52:46 CEST 2012

> Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2012 19:55:11 +0200
> From: Amos Kirilovsky <amos.kirilovsky at gmail.com>
> To: Matthew Ritchie <mritchie at wehi.edu.au>
> Cc: bioconductor at r-project.org
> Subject: Re: [BioC] Limma, arrayWeights and fold change
>
> Dear Matt,
>
> Thank you very much for your answer. I'm glad the function works with
> biological replicates. Concerning the other points, you said that one
> group is more consistent than the other one. When this appears, can
> arrayWeights introduce a bias (more than if not using the function)? If
> yes, what can I do?

No, there is no bias.

> Moreover, if I use logFC to make heatmap or anything else, should I use
> logFC as estimated when using arrayWeights or should I use the regular fold
> change?

Naturally you should use the logFC using arrayWeights, because they take
into account the differential quality and the arrays and are therefore
more accurate.

> My quality controls and arrayWeights  showed that some arrays have poor
> quality. ArrayWeights allow me to keep them when detecting differentially
> expressed genes. Is there a way to take into account the quality when doing
> other tests as clustering, correlations... ?

Almost all limma functions automatically use the estimated weights.
Functions in other packages will generally not do so.

Gordon