[BioC] edgeR: Value of variation of biological variation (BCV)

KJ Lim jinkeanlim at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 10:45:31 CEST 2012

Dear edgeR users and R community,

I'm analysing a set of RNA-Seq data which has 2 different genotypes
(treeHS, treeLS) and time of treatment (0H, 3H, 24H, 96H) with edgeR.

After carried out estimating the common dispersion, the value of BCV
for my RNA-Seq data was 0.428.
  > hl <- estimateGLMCommonDisp(hl, hl.design, verbose=TRUE)
  Disp = 0.18319 , BCV = 0.428

May I ask, it is common to see the value of variation of biological
variation (BCV) as such? What this value can tells about the RNA-Seq
data? I have these thoughts wondering me for a while. Forgive me if I
have asked a stupid question.

Thank you very much for your time.

Have a nice weekend.

Best regards,